Sunday, August 3, 2014

Collaborative Family History

I had some discussions with Alisha during the family reunion regarding family history, and as she was talking to Josh, they had an idea that revolved around collaborative family history work.  She mentioned that it was difficult for her to start family history because she felt like she didn't have the information at her fingertips.

So, I have uploaded my entire genealogy file from my computer to Google drive (sans personal information for those still living, i.e. all of you birth certificates).  I am going to be sending you all e-mails so that you can have access to the files (hopefully I have all of the right e-mail addresses for you.

Also, within the folder I have created folders for each of the immediate family members.  The idea is that, when one of you does some research, you can upload the photos or information you find to your fold for all to see, then I can log it away in the master catalog of Bean/Petersen family history.

It will also make it easier for anyone who wants to participate in the construction of the Ultimate Research Log.  In each of your folders, I have put a template for the Log.  If anyone wants, they can pull a photo from anywhere in any of the folders, transcribe the information, save your work, re-upload the template and the photo you worked on to your folder, and inform me and I will incorporate your work into the Ultimate Log.  This likely requires more explanation, and if anyone wants to help, they can give me a call or shoot me an e-mail.

Let me know what you think of this (Josh and Alisha's) idea and how we can make it better! Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. cool. I still have that cd of collaborative info. is this all the same info?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has everything that you have, and any additional documents/information I have added since then. It should also change as I and others add pictures and documents, so it may be ever growing.

      Delete